Welcome to Michigan State University. It is our hope that your life at MSU will be fulfilling and successful, now and in the future. To enable you to begin the process of learning the lay of the land at MSU, we have created this orientation website designed specifically for new Tenure System and Health Programs Faculty, Continuing System Librarians, and National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory/Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (NSCL/FRIB) Appointments. We invite you to explore this website carefully. It provides information on relevant orientation events and materials designed to assist you in your transition to life in our University community.
See below for relevant Orientation Videos, Orientation Events and Professional Development Opportunities, and selected Additional Resources. Although you will receive an invitation to the in-person orientation events, we strongly suggest that you review all of the materials to ensure that you are aware of what is available to assist you.
Individuals with appointments like yours arrive at MSU throughout the year, but the majority begin their appointments in mid-August. For that reason, we offer a set of orientation events beginning in late August each year. This year's events include Orientation and several workshops relevant to new faculty that we encourage you to attend: Effective Teaching and Learning Boot Camp; Technology Orientation: An Introduction to MSU's Libraries and IT Services' Resources; Getting Started at MSU: Syllabus Design and Regulations to Protect Student Information; and Active Shooter and Emergency Response.
In addition to these events and resources, we strongly encourage you to speak with your unit supervisor about the availability of unit-based orientations, resources, and/or one or more mentors who can assist in orienting you to your new role. As you will see, MSU is a highly decentralized institution and resources are often available in several places across campus, so it is often worthwhile to explore the full array of options through your unit as well as centralized offices.
New Faculty Checklist
Toolkits for New Employees
The Toolkits for New Employees website: http://www.hr.msu.edu/toolkits/newemployees.htm will provide access to enroll in selected benefits on the web (requires activated MSU Net ID). Note that you may not enroll in benefit programs until your appointment beginning date and that you must enroll within 30 days of the appointment effective date. This website will also:
- provide an introduction to the University
- provide an overview of important policies and procedures
- summarize benefit programs
- serve as a reference when questions arise at a later date
Please contact Human Resource Benefits (517-353-4434 or 1-800-353-4434) with any questions regarding your benefits.
- Pathways To Success
- Leaders, Lifesavers, World Changers: Spartans Will.
- Through The Years - Michigan State University Timeline
- Orientation for New Tenure System, Health Programs Faculty, and Continuing Appointment System Librarians, and National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory/Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (NSCL/FRIB) Appointments
The Office of the Provost sponsors annual orientation programs to assist new faculty in learning more about the academic community at MSU. The orientation program provides an overview of the University, identifies expectations of the University community, and facilitates active involvement in faculty affairs.
Program participants are notified about this annual Orientation by invitation only and receive registration materials in the mail. The list of invitees is generated from appointment actions entered into the Academic Human Resources database system. To ensure an invitation to this session, please contact your department and/or dean's office to verify appointment paperwork has been submitted.
- Orientation for 2016 will be held on Tuesday, August 23, 2016. Locations, times and registration information will be found in your letter of invitation.
During the Orientation held in August of 2015, participants had a chance to generate questions for a panel of MSU faculty and administrators. Given time constraints, only some of the questions were answered during the program. Below you will find responses to all of the questions that were generated during the program and listed on the table “white boards.”
New Faculty Orientation 2015 Whiteboard Questions
For more information, or to find out if you are eligible to attend, please contact Jill Bryant by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (517) 355-7483.
- Academic Governance
- Academic Human Resources (AHR) / Human Resources (HR)
- Advancing Diversity through the Alignment of Policies and Practices(ADAPP)
- Campus Maps
- Controller's Office
- Department of Police and Public Safety (DPPS)
- Family Resource Center (FRC)
- Libraries & IT Services
- Office of the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education
- Office of Faculty and Organizational Development (F&OD)
- Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives
- Office of Planning and Budgets (OPB)
- Office of the President
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Registrar
- Office of the Vice President for Research for Graduate Studies (VPRGS)
- Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities
- Responses to Questions Raised at the Tenure System New Faculty Orientation 2008
- The Graduate School
- Top "10" Things New Faculty Need To Know
- University Outreach and Engagement (UOE)
- Usability & Accessibility Center
- Writing Center
Again, we wish you a warm welcome to Michigan State University. Please let us know if we can assist you. If you have any questions about these Orientation Events, please contact Jill Bryant by email at email@example.com or by phone at (517) 355-7483.