Welcome to Michigan State University. It is our hope that your life at MSU will be fulfilling and successful, now and in the future. To enable you to begin the process of learning the lay of the land at MSU, we have created this orientation website designed specifically for New Academic Specialists. We invite you to explore this website carefully. It provides information designed to assist you in your transition to life in our University community.
See below for relevant Orientation Videos and Professional Development Opportunities, and selected Additional Resources. We strongly suggest that you review all of the materials to ensure that you are aware of what is available to assist you.
Individuals with appointments like yours arrive at MSU throughout the year, but the majority begin their appointments in mid-August. For that reason, we offer several workshops in late August each year relevant to new faculty that we encourage you to attend: Effective Teaching and Learning Boot Camp; Technology Orientation: An Introduction to MSU's Libraries and IT Services' Resources; Getting Started at MSU: Syllabus Design and Regulations to Protect Student Information; and Active Shooter and Emergency Response. In the meanwhile, you can and should take advantage of the numerous online orientation resources and information linked to this webpage.
In addition to these events and resources, we strongly encourage you to speak with your unit supervisor about the availability of unit-based orientations, resources, and/or one or more mentors who can assist in orienting you to your new role. As you will see, MSU is a highly decentralized institution and resources are often available in several places across campus, so it is often worthwhile to explore the full array of options through your unit as well as centralized offices.
If you seek additional information and support, contact Mary Beth Graebert, Academic Outreach Specialist and Chair of the Academic Specialist Advisory Committee (ASAC) at firstname.lastname@example.org or voice 517-355-3378 or visit the Academic Specialists webpage at http://academicspecialists.msu.edu/.
New Faculty Checklist
Toolkits for New Employees
The Toolkits for New Employees website: http://www.hr.msu.edu/toolkits/newemployees.htm will provide access to enroll in selected benefits on the web (requires activated MSU Net ID). Note that you may not enroll in benefit programs until your appointment beginning date and that you must enroll within 30 days of the appointment effective date. This website will also:
- provide an introduction to the University
- provide an overview of important policies and procedures
- summarize benefit programs
- serve as a reference when questions arise at a later date
Please contact Human Resource Benefits (517-353-4434 or 1-800-353-4434) with any questions regarding your benefits.
- Academic Specialists at Michigan State University [16:57]
- Leaders, Lifesavers, World Changers: Spartans Will.
- Through The Years - Michigan State University Timeline
Orientation for 2016 is set for Tuesday, August 23. Locations, times and registration information can be found in your letter of invitation.
During the Orientation held in August of 2015, participants had a chance to generate questions for a panel of MSU faculty and administrators. Given time constraints, only some of the questions were answered during the program. Below you will find responses to all of the questions that were generated during the program and listed on the table “white boards.”
For more information, or to find out if you are eligible to attend, please contact Jill Bryant by email at email@example.com or by phone at (517) 355-7483.
- Academic Governance
- Academic Human Resources (AHR) / Human Resources (HR)
- Advancing Diversity through the Alignment of Policies and Practices(ADAPP)
- Campus Maps
- Controller's Office
- Department of Police and Public Safety (DPPS)
- Family Resource Center (FRC)
- Fixed Term Faculty and Fixed Term Staff Academic Bargaining Unit
- Libraries & IT Services
- Office of the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education
- Office of Faculty and Organizational Development (F&OD)
- Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives
- Office of Planning and Budgets (OPB)
- Office of the President
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Registrar
- Office of the Vice President for Research for Graduate Studies (VPRGS)
- Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities
- The Graduate School
- Top "10" Things New Faculty Need To Know
- University Outreach and Engagement (UOE)
- Writing Center
Again, we wish you a warm welcome to Michigan State University.Please let us know if we can assist you. If you have any questions about these Orientation Events, please contact Jill Bryant by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (517) 355-7483.